Monday, November 24, 2008

Struggling to be Free from Familial Curses

One of my professors, who was specialized in dead biblical languages (not dead at all!)emphasized the repetative nature of the New Testament's use of the active "overcoming" when talking of perseverence. My children have really shown themselves as sanctifiers of my faith and what it really means to persevere and overcome. In them I can see both the Lord's victories and my own sin as it afflicts them. It is true victory when I can operate outside of my own default system (our cursedness) and enact out of the grace that I have known. Our kids are amazing because they deal with us first with absolute love and grace and only later judge us by the rules we helped lay out. If we can't see how we've hurt God with our sin, then we can look to our children as a measure, as they mature. To those children (as adults) that will judge their parents as perfect, the sin can be seen as the parents not admitting their imperfection, and perhaps this is the worse sin of all in how it damages our children. I say all this because my oldest of five is entering tweenhood, and I am shaking in my boots at the new adventure ahead. I've learned that the hardest things to accept in her are those that I have passed on to her. I hope I can offer some reassurance in saying that it doesn't get any better. Heaven help us.

1 comment:

Maryjane said...

We are entering tweenhood as well. Isabel has one foot in childhood and one is "training bra-hood"...it's scary! Some days I love it and some I don't. I am not up on that pedestal that I once was, I am just mom. I do count for something, but not "everything" like I once did.
It's hard to watch them grow.